Senior Services & Resources
- Southern Maine Area Agency on Aging - The Southern Maine Area Agency on Aging is the officially designated agency in Southern Maine to assist the aging. It provides Meals on Wheels service and many information and referral and advocacy resources for seniors.
- Maine Office of Aging and Disability Services - Offers assistance and resources on housing, community services and supports, support at home, crisis hotlines and other resources for older and disabled adults
- Maine Center for Disease Control & Prevention - The Maine CDC is an excellent resource for anyone who would like to find out more about a particular disease, illness or senior-related issue. This website also provides guidance on where to turn for assistance and support.
- Maine Alzheimer's Association- The Maine chapter of the American Alzheimer's Association offers information on how to identify signs of these illnesses and where one can turn for assistance.
- The Iris Network - Provides information and resources for visually impaired, including early treatment and prevention
The Opportunity Alliance (TOA) offers several programs to help with heating improvements and costs for those families that meet income eligibility requirements.
Help paying for basic needs
- General Assistance - The Town of Cape Elizabeth administers a Welfare/General Assistance program that provides confidential financial assistance to residents who are having difficulty meeting basic needs for housing, utilities, food, medications etc.
- Thomas Jordan Trust - The Thomas Jordan Trust is a local resource administered by the Town of Cape Elizabeth to help Cape Elizabeth citizens.
Property Tax Assistance
Cape Elizabeth Community Services offers a variety of activities and events to keep you connected, active, learning and laughing. Enroll in a fitness class, attend senior swim, sign up for a learning lunch or hop aboard their minibus for one of their trips. Resident taxpayers age 62 and older qualify for senior rates and receive a 20-percent discount on qualifying programs.
Cape High School Senior to Senior
Cape Elizabeth High School seniors participate in community outreach, helping Cape senior citizens with activities such as raking leaves, shoveling snow, companion visits, trips to the Recycling Center, help with computers and more. Contact teacher Tom Kohan for more information.
- Regional Transportation Program, Inc. (RTP) is a private, non-profit, United Way agency that provides publicly funded, low-cost transportation to persons in Cumberland County who need rides.
- Independent Transportation Network provides a community-based, community-supported, economically viable and consumer-oriented, quality transportation service for seniors and adults with visual impairment.
Cape Elizabeth Faith Communities
Churches in Cape Elizabeth offer programs and assistance to address the physical, social and spiritual needs of elderly:
Safety for Seniors
South Portland/Cape Elizabeth TRIAD - This program of the Cape Elizabeth and South Portland police departments offers supports for seniors and residents of Cape Elizabeth including daily check in, file-of-life packets, and monthly learning sessions on safety, well-being and quality of life issues for seniors
Senior Health Care in Cape
These providers located in Cape Elizabeth specialize in care for the elderly:
- Coastal Rehab - Occupational, physical and ppeech therapy services. Geriatric rehabilitation at home or on site
- The Landing at Cape Elizabeth - Assisted-living residences with personal care services
- Cape Memory Care - Residential living facility for persons with Alzheimer’s disease, other dementias and memory related impairments