On Tuesday, November 14, 2023, the School Board voted unanimously in favor of adopting School Board goals for the 2023-2024 school year. Vice Chair Philip Saucier highlighted that the board had developed the goals by focusing on over-arching five-year plan goals at a workshop, followed by the development of specific steps for enacting the goals at their School Board Retreat. "I am particularly proud of these goals that are a little bit more specific than they have been in the past," Saucier said.
Cape Elizabeth School Board Goals 2023-2024
Adopted: November 14, 2023
1. Create a fiscally responsible budget, through the established budget process, that provides a high-quality education and meets the needs of all students.
- Utilize established procedures to ensure a comprehensive, transparent budget process that is based upon meeting educational needs as advocated for by the District Leadership Team.
- Educate the Board and community throughout the year on important budget drivers such as state and local funding, expenditures (salaries, medical insurance, maintenance, capital improvements, supplies, etc.), and fund balance in clear, easy-to-understand language.
2. Monitor our instructional programs, through the use of data and DEI lenses, to ensure a high-quality education for all of our students.
- Review the implementation of the Math Review Process: Implementation of Phase 2 & 3.
- Support the initiation of the English Language Arts (reading & writing) Review Process: Initiate Phase 1.
- Review the newly developed strategic plan for our Multiple Pathways programming and Extended Learning Opportunities.
- Review the implementation of the Cape Care PreK program.
- Review social emotional programming and student supports.
3. Attract, retain, and support our CESD staff.
- Engage in good faith collaborative contract bargaining with the association.
- Support on-going staff professional development.
- Support a budget that meets the instructional needs of staff and learning needs of students.
4. Communicate district news, happenings, and relevant information with all of Cape Elizabeth’s community members.
- Expand methods of communication: reaching community members who do not have children in school.
5. Create a long-term plan for updating our school buildings that advances modern teaching approaches, increases learning opportunities, and enhances the climate/culture/safety of our schools.
- Continue to collaborate with the Town Council in support of the School Building Advisory Committee.
6. Advance the efficacy of the Board.
- Enhance systems and resources to mentor new board members.
- Engage in activities that promote Board members' ongoing learning and development around such topics as policy, school budget, educational programming, and facilities.