Maine Residents Property Tax Fairness Credit available now
Forms to apply for the state's new Maine Residents Property Tax Fairness Credit are now available. The income-tax credit replaces the former 'circuitbreaker' tax-relief program.
You may qualify for a refund of up to $300, or $400 if you are 70 or older, even if you do not owe Maine income tax, if:
- You were a Maine resident during any part of tax year 2013;
- You owned or rented a home in Maine during any part of 2013 and lived in that home as
your principal residence during the year; ·
- Your 2013 Maine adjusted gross income was $40,000 or less;
- The property tax you paid in 2013 was more than 10 percent of your 2013 Maine adjusted gross income; or
- The rent you paid in 2013 was more than 40 percent of your 2013 Maine adjusted gross income.
How to apply
Residents may apply for the Maine Residents Property Tax Fairness Credit:
- By filing form 1040ME online, free at http://www.maine.gov/revenue/netfile/gateway2.htm
- By mailing a completed Form 1040ME and Schedule PTFC (Property Tax Fairness Credit Worksheet) to:
- Maine Revenue Services
PO Box 1066, Augusta, Maine 04332-1066
Where to get a Form 1040ME Booklet
Form 1040ME Booklets may be downloaded from the Maine Revenue Services website, http://www.maine.gov/revenue/forms/.
If you would like to have a Form 1040ME booklet mailed directly to you:
- Call the forms line at 207-624-7894 (leave your name and mailing address), or
- Write to Maine Revenue Services, PO Box 9107, Augusta, Maine, 04332-9107.
For more information, visit the Maine Revenue Services website or call 207-626-8475.